Early Childhood Development Managers benefit from computer training
The Bitou 10 Foundation’s ECD Capacity Building Training for Managers Programme is funded by ApexHi and provides weekly managerial training sessions for 12 Bitou ECD sites.
The workshops aim to empower ECD managers from historically disadvantaged areas to improve the quality of their facilities, practitioners, resources and equipment.
Shamuss Booysen, aged 27 is the Computer Training facilitator. He hails from Port Elizabeth and has been in Kranshoek, Plettenberg Bay for 3 years.
He completed his IT certificate in Port Elizabeth in 2013 and is now contracted by The Bitou 10 Foundation to provide 12 ECD managers with computer training.
Booysen is currently a facilitator for the Click Foundation at Kranshoek Primary and specialises in helping the Foundation Phase learners with the basic functionality of computers when using the ‘Reading Eggs Programme’.
“The Bitou10 Foundation has given me the opportunity to share my talent with the ECD managers. This has given me the confidence to persevere with the training aspect of my career. Being able to teach and help the managers gives me a sense of pride, as I can help others achieve what might have seemed impossible to them.”
Booysen has received feedback from the managers on how the training is helping them and in what aspect it is helping:
- The training is helping me to be more computer active.
- It has helped me to do my assignments, presentations and to be more actively involved with computers.
- The computer training is helping me to do things on my own, for example, to work on my letters and to type stories for my learners.
- Computer training has encouraged me to want to learn more about it.
- This training helped me a lot because I can work on my computer on my own without having to rely on others.
- Computer training has motivated me to want to buy my own computer and to learn more about it.
A special thank you to Macey from the e-Centre in Kwanokuthula for providing the foundation with a venue in which to train the managers.